It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:43 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Japanese Swords

Dotanuki

General Discussion on modern reproductions of Japanese Swords and blades

Dotanuki

Postby justin520 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 8:57 pm

Can somebody please explain it to me? I own 2 ronin kats and I still don't understand how it's different from shinogi zukuri with no bohi

Swords aren't toys, they are weapons made to kill humans and should be treated as such.

天下
justin520

Re: Dotanuki

Postby Onimusha » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Last edited by Onimusha on Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
It is said that what is called the Spirit of an Age is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.- hagakure
Onimusha

Postby justin520 » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:12 pm

It only elaborates on the school and not the geometry itself.

Swords aren't toys, they are weapons made to kill humans and should be treated as such.

天下
justin520

Postby Onimusha » Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:15 pm

Essentially, it means a thick blade with lots of niku. At least that's what it means these days.
It is said that what is called the Spirit of an Age is something to which one cannot return. That this spirit gradually dissipates is due to the world's coming to an end. In the same way, a single year does not have just spring or summer. A single day, too, is the same. For this reason, although one would like to change today's world back to the spirit of one hundred years or more ago, it cannot be done. Thus it is important to make the best out of every generation.- hagakure
Onimusha

Postby Jussi Ekholm » Sat Aug 31, 2013 4:15 am

Dotanuki is only the one specific school. It has been used as a marketing term by various iaito sellers as well as Chinese katana sellers over the years. I believe it was brought into wide public by Lone Wolf & Cub. As it's not very famous as far as my sources about swordmaking schools show. When I get home I can track you the information I have on them.

But in short they were wide and thick blades, that are usually bit roughly made. Of course there were also better smiths among the Dotanuki smiths.

Here you can see a sword that was made by one of the better Dotanuki smiths: http://nihontou.jp/choice03/toukenkobug ... 40/00.html

The Ronin Dojo Pro I used to have was a bit thicker than most of the production katana.
Jussi Ekholm

My SBG Profile: viewtopic.php?f=41&t=18619
Jussi Ekholm

Return to Japanese Swords