It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 11:33 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Japanese Swords

Folded VS 9260 spring

General Discussion on modern reproductions of Japanese Swords and blades

Folded VS 9260 spring

Postby MidgardsEldar » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:35 pm

I want to buy a sword from St nihonto on ebay.
Ive narrowed it down to 2 swords in the same price range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320955073314?ss ... 1438.l2649

and
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320809990209

I think the folded one is more attractive personally. But i want bang for buck here. What say you?
MidgardsEldar

Re: Folded VS 9260 spring

Postby adrian.jordan » Fri Apr 19, 2013 11:46 pm

Well, the 9260 is likely tougher. It has a hamon, but it may be aesthetic only. I have read that putting 9260 through the DH process reduces its toughness to the level of a good 1060 blade, and the folded one you linked is made of 1060. Folding doesn't really affect the steel, make it tougher or weaker, but it does introduce the possibility of internal flaws that could lead to blade failure. If the 9260 is TH, I'd go for that if you are going to use it as a dedicated cutter. If it is for decoration and/or for light, occasional cutting, go for the one whose looks you like better.
adrian.jordan

Postby hhmoore » Sat Apr 20, 2013 12:32 am

It might be me, or my old eyes, but I didn't think the 9260 blade had a hamon. There were a couple of pics that the edge area looked lighter colored; but it was pretty straight-lined, and I considered it reflection. Nothing was said in the ad to indicate that the 1060 blade was DH, but that one did show a hamon - real or not.
Other than that, Adrian's post was pretty close to the one I had started when I first read this (I abandoned it over the question of whether the 1060 blade was DH). Only you can decide how much weight you want to give to any particular factor - aesthetics, DH vs TH, 1060 vs 9260, etc
Harald H Moore
hhmoore

Postby chrisperoni » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:09 am

well, on the 9260 the line behind the edge is either a mark from sharpening, some kind of false hamon such as etch or brushed, or the greatest suguha hamon ever done... on a sub $200 dollar sword mind you ;)

If you go with the 9260 I'd recommend the huawei option instead. It's a bit cheaper and I have one (bohi variant) and can attest to the goodness of the steel.

I don't like the way st. nihonto says their ito is silk, 'cause it's not. It's synthetic. There's no way they're paying for real silk on this sword. Also when they say the fittings are iron they are only referring to the tsuba. The fuchi and kashira are the same as on the huawei I haved linked to below, and they are an alloy. (same as on mine) Notice huawei doesn't try to make their ito sound better than it is and they tell you the other fittings are actually alloy. I appreciate the more straightforward ad copy.

The Huawei 9260 is a helluva good value for the money. With a couple of low-to-no cost upgrades it's even better. Of course the kinds of things I did to mine can be done to any of these swords.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Handforged-9260- ... 3f23d4b978

There's also this bohi version which has some iron tsuba options and saya options available. Now here I guess I have to take exception to huawei saying the fuchi/kashira is brass- it's clear to me they are a brass alloy... which means an alloy like any other alloy.. not real brass. dang it huawei! just when I'm trying to talk you up and make a point LOL :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FUNCTIONAL-9260- ... 41651d0260

Note that in your folded steel choice the fittings are quite likely all alloy including the tsuba. At that price it's unlikely real copper or brass is being used.

**with all these swords the habaki and seppa are actual brass** This is pretty much a standard with all the production forges. They don't use alloys for these parts.**

Or take a bit of time and explore huawei's folded options. I have a folded t10 with hamon ken sword from them and it is a beautiful blade.

oh- and if you're wondering why they can get away with saying alloy/brass/copper etc for all these parts I can rant s'more on that too - hahaaahaaaa! :lol:
Begin. To begin is half the work, let half still remain; again begin this, and thou wilt have finished. -Marcus Aurelius
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.-Plato
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn.-Dale Doback
chrisperoni
Senior Forumite

Postby MidgardsEldar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:16 am

So i went for the folded one.....it was calling to me and i couldn't resist. LOL. This will be my second purchase from st-nihonto, my first being a cheap wakizashi for 99 bucks. I hopefully will be satisfied again this time. =)
I believe the hamon to be fake on both by the way. The 9260 just had a straight "suguha" line across the edge for aesthetics.
MidgardsEldar

Postby MidgardsEldar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 1:18 am

chrisperoni wrote:well, on the 9260 the line behind the edge is either a mark from sharpening, some kind of false hamon such as etch or brushed, or the greatest suguha hamon ever done... on a sub $200 dollar sword mind you ;)

If you go with the 9260 I'd recommend the huawei option instead. It's a bit cheaper and I have one (bohi variant) and can attest to the goodness of the steel.

I don't like the way st. nihonto says their ito is silk, 'cause it's not. It's synthetic. There's no way they're paying for real silk on this sword. Also when they say the fittings are iron they are only referring to the tsuba. The fuchi and kashira are the same as on the huawei I haved linked to below, and they are an alloy. (same as on mine) Notice huawei doesn't try to make their ito sound better than it is and they tell you the other fittings are actually alloy. I appreciate the more straightforward ad copy.

The Huawei 9260 is a helluva good value for the money. With a couple of low-to-no cost upgrades it's even better. Of course the kinds of things I did to mine can be done to any of these swords.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Handforged-9260- ... 3f23d4b978

There's also this bohi version which has some iron tsuba options and saya options available. Now here I guess I have to take exception to huawei saying the fuchi/kashira is brass- it's clear to me they are a brass alloy... which means an alloy like any other alloy.. not real brass. dang it huawei! just when I'm trying to talk you up and make a point LOL :)

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/FUNCTIONAL-9260- ... 41651d0260

Note that in your folded steel choice the fittings are quite likely all alloy including the tsuba. At that price it's unlikely real copper or brass is being used.

**with all these swords the habaki and seppa are actual brass** This is pretty much a standard with all the production forges. They don't use alloys for these parts.**

Or take a bit of time and explore huawei's folded options. I have a folded t10 with hamon ken sword from them and it is a beautiful blade.

oh- and if you're wondering why they can get away with saying alloy/brass/copper etc for all these parts I can rant s'more on that too - hahaaahaaaa! :lol:

I actually bought a Huawei thursday =)
Im on a bit of a sword binge trying out different ebay vendors, like swordmaker688 and st nihonto. Just trying to stray from the path a bit and explore different forges.
MidgardsEldar

Postby Kuya » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:09 am

The hamons are fake on the swords linked, and when you get your sword, let us know if the saya rubs the blade. Every ST-Nihonto sword I've gotten so far, the saya rubs the last 15-20% of the flat of the blade. Doesn't matter much for beaters, but for something I want to display and show... it's an issue.
Kuya
Registered

Postby MidgardsEldar » Sat Apr 20, 2013 2:15 am

Kuya wrote:The hamons are fake on the swords linked, and when you get your sword, let us know if the saya rubs the blade. Every ST-Nihonto sword I've gotten so far, the saya rubs the last 15-20% of the flat of the blade. Doesn't matter much for beaters, but for something I want to display and show... it's an issue.

Oh yes, i know the hamons are fake, but for the price im not too concerned. Ill be sure to let you know about the saya scraping. My wakizashi from ST has a nearly perfect fit into the saya with no rubbing against the wood though...
MidgardsEldar

Postby uchiha998 » Sat Apr 20, 2013 6:38 am

I agree with going with the hauwei. However since you already have made your purchase it doesn't matter anymore. My problem with folded steels is simply that it does increase the probability of errors occurring during forging and on a sub $200 sword I have to believe these errors are much more common. However if you are just going to use for light cutting I'm sure it will be just fine. Also it is good for everyone here when someone takes a little risk and buys from a vendor that doesn't get as much recommendation or isn't so tried and true. Please do give a review of your sword when it gets to you. It will be a big statement in St-nihonto's favor if you receive a second sword that you are more than happy with. Especially at the prices you paid. I see swords that I like from different ebay vendors all the time and the prices are great especially since usually they offer small customizations but since I want to cut with every sword I buy I have not had the nerve to tryout any of the ebay vendors. So thank you for taking a leap of faith and I hope you end up with a really nice sword.
uchiha998

Return to Japanese Swords