It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:02 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Japanese Swords

Ko Katana

General Discussion on modern reproductions of Japanese Swords and blades

Ko Katana

Postby Kristie » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:04 pm

A while back I had a Cheness SGC ko katana and sold it, and now I'm regretting it. I liked it, but it was a little heavy. I've been considering getting a new one but thought the recent quality issues with the company might make it a bad idea. I really liked the one I had for the wide blade. So my question is: is there any other company that makes one with a wide blade like that? If not, I suppose I might take my chances.
Kristie

Re: Ko Katana

Postby ninjedi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:46 pm

I know Ronin offers a ko katana, not sure on the dimensions though you might want to google it up and investigate.
ninjedi

Postby chopper » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:02 pm

I have the Ronin Ko Katana. It handles great and I love it! However, the blade is not wide and no hamon. I also have the Dynasty Forge Ko kat. I have it put up but if I remember right, it is a wide blade. I'll check when I get home from work.
Daily Victim Of Murphy's Law!
chopper

Postby hhmoore » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:06 pm

I don't know of any other ko katana set up like the SGC (with the thinner, wider blade). That doesn't mean they don't exist, though.
It might be worth dropping dadaochen a line, to see if there is an HSTS kokat in the works.
The Ronin Dojo Pro KoKat is a bit longer than the SGC, but I don't believe is broad like the SGC.
Harald H Moore
hhmoore

Postby Dr. Whom » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:42 pm

The original Hung Shing True Sharp Ko katana had the wide blade that you crave...You might want to put an ad for one in the classifieds here
Empty your mind. Be formless,shapeless, like water. You can put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, Put it in a teapot and it becomes the teapot, Put it in a bottle and it becomes the bottle. Now water can flow or CRASH! Be water my friend
Dr. Whom

Postby Saito » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:15 pm

what your looking for is a hung shing wind glider, they came in shinogi, unokubi, and hira zukuri. ive got the shinogi and hira katana, but alot of kodachis were sold. id like to get my hands on one myself :P
"Steel is My Body...and Fire is My Blood"
Saito

Postby Kristie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:10 pm

Ah, I knew you guys would know much better than I what's out there! Thanks for the info. I'll see what I can find!
Kristie

Postby Kristie » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:15 pm

Saito wrote:what your looking for is a hung shing wind glider, they came in shinogi, unokubi, and hira zukuri. ive got the shinogi and hira katana, but alot of kodachis were sold. id like to get my hands on one myself :P

Sounds good, but I'm guessing these are all katanas and not ko katanas, right? I definitely had my heart set on a ko kat.
Kristie

Postby demonocus » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:28 pm

i got the tenchi ko katana from cheness and i had no problems with it. got around 8 months ago
demonocus

Postby KatanaSS » Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:31 pm

Kristie wrote:A while back I had a Cheness SGC ko katana and sold it, and now I'm regretting it. I liked it, but it was a little heavy. I've been considering getting a new one but thought the recent quality issues with the company might make it a bad idea. I really liked the one I had for the wide blade. So my question is: is there any other company that makes one with a wide blade like that? If not, I suppose I might take my chances.

I just bought a Cheness Tenchi Ko Katana from the SBG Store this past January & had no issues with the quality of the sword. It was exactly as I expected. The blade was nice & sturdy, no scratches or dings & pretty sharp. Not razor sharp but sharp enough to cut most anything. Tsuba & Tsuka were basic & plain but the parts fit tightly. Basically was as the Cheness site described the sword. I wanted to support the SBG Store so I bought it from here & I think it was inspected for quality control before it shipped. I don't think you would have any issue if you bought a Cheness or any other sword from the SBG Store .
KatanaSS

Next

Return to Japanese Swords