Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Fantasy Swords

vampire hunter d sword

Functional and Decorative Swords of pure imagination

vampire hunter d sword

Postby nddave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:33 pm

just for fun I was thinking about how to make a replica of d's sword

here's my simple plan without buying a custom blade or fittings.

cheness o-katana blade and tsuka
dsa or gen 2 black prince gaurd.

probably won't work but in my mind if it all fit, it'd be reasonably similar.

technically his sword is a odaichi blade with zwienhandler/great sword style handle. it'd be a cool sword that as far as I know hasn't ever been made as either a wallhanger or funcional piece.

if anyone else have some ideas, or pics of a actual replica slo or battle ready please chime in.
nddave

Re: vampire hunter d sword

Postby etiennehamel » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:36 pm

etiennehamel
Senior Forumite

Postby nddave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:46 pm

yea, there's one. its the sequel movie sword, I was thinking more along the lines of the original. still you found one. I'm assuming by the pic its a slo. any thoughts on creating a custom?
nddave

Postby MOK » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:41 am

You mean this one? (The image is from the official artbook, Coffin.)

Even taking into consideration the series' trademark stylization and artistic license, I can't really think of any production blade with that kind of extremely slender and pointy curved profile...
"For sometimes persons do not know, they do not wish to know, and they have no intention of knowing. For such persons there is no excuse, but they are altogether to be condemned."
-- Heinrich Kramer & James Sprenger, Malleus Maleficarum
MOK

Postby Vincent Dolan » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:58 am

I agree with MOK, for the most part. With a custom, you could potentially have what is essentially a curved rapier blade made, but it wouldn't be very accurate. The problem is that the blade would be very slender, very thin, and very long, all of which add up to a rather fragile blade. Plus there's the curvature; how would you even sheath it? With that said, your best bet with the custom route would be to have the smith make a hand-and-a-half sized shamshir. After all, it's got the proper shape, be it curve, style, or what have you; it's just wider.

Storytellers and writers are all gods and goddesses, to a one. Musicians are their host, painters their scribes, and actors their saints--but all arts start with a story to tell.

Vincent's Hall of Blades. Go on; take a peek. You know you want to. Or feel free to get lost in the myriad works here in The Archive.
Vincent Dolan
Senior Forumite

Postby nddave » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:31 am

true, but in most anime the even katana are drawn with a heavy curve.

obviously it'd have to be custom made. perhaps something like a dark sentinel but with odaichi dimensions.

if you look at it up close in detailed drawings, the sword is half medieval half japanese. the blade is of a katana with kissaki, hamon, habaki, and no-hi. then the guard is a straight with an upward downward ends, the handle is two-handed with a ball shaped pomel. the sword based on D's height must be at the least 5-6 feet long since D himself is around 7 foot tall.
nddave

Postby Vincent Dolan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:09 am

Actually, most anime featuring katana are only drawn with a heavy curve depending on the angle of the shot; otherwise, they're fairly normal in terms of curve.

As for the sword itself, there is no indication that I can find that the blade is half-Japanese, half-Euro. Indeed, the pictures I have found, which were illustrated by Saiko Takaki (the artist who originally illustrated the covers of the original manga), shows that it is almost completely fantasy:

ImageImage
ImageImage
Storytellers and writers are all gods and goddesses, to a one. Musicians are their host, painters their scribes, and actors their saints--but all arts start with a story to tell.

Vincent's Hall of Blades. Go on; take a peek. You know you want to. Or feel free to get lost in the myriad works here in The Archive.
Vincent Dolan
Senior Forumite

Postby Elheru Aran » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:00 pm

Off topic, but that's a beautiful scimitar, Vincent... I'm guessing it's a Vince Evans piece as it looks modern (especially the scabbard)?
Jeff Faulk of Wooden Fang Blades
My Facebook Page
Wooden wasters and training swords in every size and type available, made custom for YOU!
Elheru Aran

Postby Sean (Shadowhowler) » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:06 pm

Elheru Aran wrote:Off topic, but that's a beautiful scimitar, Vincent... I'm guessing it's a Vince Evans piece as it looks modern (especially the scabbard)?

Your right... that scimitar is something else. :shock:
Sean (Shadowhowler)
VIP Reviewer

Postby Vincent Dolan » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:19 pm

It is indeed a Vince Evans; aesthetically speaking, it's my favorite example of a Persian sword as the curvature is not too extreme or the blade too thin.

Vincent Dolan
Senior Forumite

Next

Return to Fantasy Swords