It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 am
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Beginners Forum

Sharpening/Polishing the Kissaki...

The best place to start - beginners are encouraged to ask their questions here, rewards are given to more senior members who are particularily helpful.

Sharpening/Polishing the Kissaki...

Postby 3y3EcE » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:47 am

So I was just wondering where I could go to learn the specifics of sharpening and then polishing the kissaki... the videos I watched on here somewheres on sharpening the sword are wonderful, 400, 800, 1200 then 2000 grit sandpaper and some clamps onto a sturdy table are great, but after that is all done, is it similar for the kissaki? My theory is that all sanding motions again are pulled away from the spine of th sword, and ultimately away from the edge, but you'll need a thinner surface area of sand paper, and it appears to me that all lines of the polishing are pulled away from the corner closest to the spine and furthest from the edge. Am I correct? Or can someone help me with a tutorial site link or video link? Please and thank you all!
This portion has been censored because White Zombie quotations aren't politically correct. You are welcome.
3y3EcE

Re: Sharpening/Polishing the Kissaki...

Postby Hiroshi » Sat Jan 08, 2011 2:50 am

Polishing the kissaki is pretty much the same as the rest of the blade but cut the sand paper up into toner fingertip sized pieces and use your finger and water. Be carefully not to cut yourself on the finger. Also be carefully not to cross the yokote as this can damage the appearance of it or if it's a geometric yoke it's could ruine the ridge

Edited for accuracy.
Last edited by Hiroshi on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hiroshi
Registered

Postby Hyoujinsama » Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:52 am

Hiroshi wrote:Move back and forth with the direction of the blade I.e. Lengthwise.

Should be ha to koshinogi. Perpendicular to the blade.
Hyoujinsama

Postby 3y3EcE » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:30 am

Thank you Hyoujinsama! Any recommendations for a book to learn my terminology bychance? I never knew the japanese style swords had soo very many "sections" and I still find it fascinating!
This portion has been censored because White Zombie quotations aren't politically correct. You are welcome.
3y3EcE

Postby Midori Kawakami » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:10 am

;)
Midori Kawakami

Postby 3y3EcE » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:00 am

Oh yes, I have definately seen this vid before... I've seen and commented on most of Hyoujinsama's videos on youtube, he's helped me along this hobby more than he knows... All of you guys here are so informative, and happy/eager to help!

I was more curious about the names of the different parts of the blade itself, like the nakago, the bo-hi, the no-hi, and all these other areas, and what they mean, their translations, histories, evolutions, variances, etc... What is a good Katana book?
3y3EcE

Postby Maynar » Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:52 pm

Well I'm not knowledgeable enough to recommend books, but I have some jpegs of sword parts, I hope you find them interesting:

Just some pics I collected over time. Enjoy!
I am Brother Maynar, keeper of the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch. And the number of the counting, shall be three.

It is by will alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning. It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Maynar

Postby 3y3EcE » Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:59 am

exquisite!! thank you so very much for sharing! this has helped immensly!!
3y3EcE

Return to Beginners Forum