It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:26 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Backyard Cutting

Cutting obstacle course?

Safety consious discussions of backyard cutting techniques and targets.

Cutting obstacle course?

Postby Jedigirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 12:49 pm

I thought I posted this the other day it...disappeared?

Has anyone seen, done, or thought of designing an obstacle course for cutting? This would make competitions more exciting as well as practice in a more battle simulated way then execution style, which seems to me like just practicing your golf swing. Objects could be placed in patterns to use sword kata type routines.

Another thing I've yet to see is moving targets...or have I just not looked around enough?
Jedigirl

Re: Cutting obstacle course?

Postby Voltan » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:13 pm

I've thought about setting up two stands, and cutting from one to another, but have yet to try it...
"You see, a sword is three feet of tempered steel---with death dancing on every inch, and hanging like a dark star on the very point." --Ronald Lacey, as Oswald, from Sword Of The Valiant, 1984
Voltan

Postby Greg » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:14 pm

While this would certainly be more entertaining to watch, there would be an element of danger involved for people who are just backyard cutters vs thoughs who are trained in a particular style.

What I've seen, and often participated in, was multiple simultaneous stands and cuts. But when you say obstacle course, I'm thinking:

-Climb ladder
-Draw and cut two targets
-Run across a beam
-Thrust into another target
-Swing from chandelier
-Execute 3 more cuts

:D :D :D

Believe me, I'd be the first to sign up for it, but there is a risk of putting obstacles in the way of a person wielding a sword.

However, we have been playing a few rounds of S.W.O.R.D. where one person does a trick cut, usually on multiple bottles, and then the other participants try to match the cut.

I led the first round on the old forums, and I think I remember seeing at least a 2nd or 3rd round being started on these forums.

But, maybe you could start a trend. Post a vid of something and challenge the rest of us to match it. :D
Greg
Senior Forumite

Postby Jedigirl » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:36 pm

hehe..that is a bit more extreme then I intended but kinda cool. While this could be dangerous I guess it depends on the sword and obstacles.

I've trained with bokken and have learned some weapons kata through Kenpo training, so it seems like a natural progression to mix kata and cutting.
Jedigirl

Postby Opferous » Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:48 pm

If you have access to a forested area or just a lot of trees in your yard, you can tie bottles at varying heights from the branches. This gives a wide range of targets without having to worry about tripping on a stand and impaling yourself. If you use a bow knot or rope/string that only just bears the weight of the bottle, it adds a bit of a challenge. But yeah, there is always an element of danger, and precautions should be taken.
James Fang, President
Opferous
Manufacturer/Vendor

Postby johnwalter » Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:20 pm

Enbu,katagiri
Kata based tameshigiri.All cuts and transitions from target to target using kata,attack and defensive movements.(Not a literal definition).Many Ryu ha do this,we do as well.As well as moving target,mostly swinging from tree limbs or jigs.There are many examples on the net.
Ken-Zen Ichi Nyo

If you want to see,see right at once.When you begin to think,you miss the point.- Zen master,Dogo

His junk is making our junk look like junk!- Fred G. Sanford,comodities.

United Backyard Cutters
johnwalter
Instructor

Postby Gaufried » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:38 am

How about cutting moving targets? :idea:

There are some guys in Phoenix who do so, have seen their videos.
Gaufried

Postby aussie-rabbit » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:26 am

Greg wrote:While this would certainly be more entertaining to watch, there would be an element of danger involved for people who are just backyard cutters vs thoughs who are trained in a particular style.

What I've seen, and often participated in, was multiple simultaneous stands and cuts. But when you say obstacle course, I'm thinking:

-Climb ladder
-Draw and cut two targets
-Run across a beam
-Thrust into another target
-Swing from chandelier
-Execute 3 more cuts

:D :D :D

Ah! Parkour with a sword ? Zorro has done that already :lol: :lol: :lol:

"Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for *poof* RIBBIT!"

"Fūrinkazan" (Wind, Forest, Fire and Mountain), fast as the wind, silent as a forest, ferocious as fire and immovable as a mountain.

aussie-rabbit

Postby ShooterMike » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:54 am

From a cutting competition standpoint, why not simply define a few multi-stand layouts and document them for everyone to use? Informal competition could be geared toward making the smoothest target transitions at speed while getting "silent cuts" on as many targets as possible.
ShooterMike
Instructor

Postby Jedigirl » Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:29 pm

For sure. Set the targets up referencing multiple opponent's target locations. Cuts transitioned with parries to simulate a combat scenario.

I really don't mean to sound like I'm talking down on golf swings. I'm useless at golf. lol I find it very difficult. I just like training to be reflective of combat which seems more practical to me.
Jedigirl

Next

Return to Backyard Cutting