It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:47 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

General Discussions

Castle Keep

General discussion and questions on swords from all cultures and time periods, with subforums for specific types of swords.

Castle Keep

Postby wnydel » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:40 pm

Does anyone have any experience with their products? They make some very attractive looking swords. I'm just dreaming at the moment, but hope to purchase one someday. Anyway, if you have any experience, what do you have? How does it handle? Is it worth the price? Also, any rough guess on what the shipping cost to the US would be? Thanks
wnydel

Re: Castle Keep

Postby Vincent Dolan » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:44 pm

Talk to SwordFan; he owns their French Knight, but as far as I know, he's not in the US (Australia, I think, but don't quote me on that), so he can't help you with that, but he should be able to answer most of your other questions.
Storytellers and writers are all gods and goddesses, to a one. Musicians are their host, painters their scribes, and actors their saints--but all arts start with a story to tell.

Vincent's Hall of Blades. Go on; take a peek. You know you want to. Or feel free to get lost in the myriad works here in The Archive.
Vincent Dolan

Postby Northern Wanderer » Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:10 am

If this castle keep is the one you are on about:

http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/index.asp

Then you should be in good hands, based on the isle of Skye (Scotland), Rob Miller hand forges each piece out of EN45 steel, which I think equates to 5160, the same stuff used in Hanwei/Tinkers, they have a good reputation for handling and finish, and are reputed to be quite tough.

A reasonable if old review here on my armoury:

http://www.myarmoury.com/review_ck_xii.html

For shipping to the US, I'm afraid I have no idea, Hopefully SwordFan can tell us a bit more about that.

Which Sword are you looking at ? I have had my eye on the Type H Viking for a while from this place.
"Yes, the pen is mightier than the sword.If the sword is very small and the pen is very sharp"
Northern Wanderer

Postby wnydel » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:32 am

Northern Wanderer wrote:If this castle keep is the one you are on about:

http://www.castlekeep.co.uk/index.asp

Then you should be in good hands, based on the isle of Skye (Scotland), Rob Miller hand forges each piece out of EN45 steel, which I think equates to 5160, the same stuff used in Hanwei/Tinkers, they have a good reputation for handling and finish, and are reputed to be quite tough.

A reasonable if old review here on my armoury:

http://www.myarmoury.com/review_ck_xii.html

For shipping to the US, I'm afraid I have no idea, Hopefully SwordFan can tell us a bit more about that.

Which Sword are you looking at ? I have had my eye on the Type H Viking for a while from this place.

Thanks! Yes that is the place. I was looking at the H as well and also at the Suontaka Sword. But honestly, they are all nice. SwordFan must be the one who had the French Knight. I remember seeing pics of it on here and drooling lol. But I never knew who made it.
wnydel

Postby chuckinohio » Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:59 am

Shoot him a PM and ask about the shipping cost.

The shipping cost should be similar, or maybe a shade less coming to the US.

Everything that I have read about their swords leave me with the impression that they are a very safe bet as far as the quality of their products.
chuckinohio
Senior Forumite

Location: Casstown Ohio- You cant miss it, turn left at the corn field

Postby Anders » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:17 am

Castle Keep are on the top of my list for a custom project, mostly because I don't know of any other high end custom forge in the EU. (I don't think I can afford ordering a custom from the US, what with crazy import fees.)
"Hear me, men. For reasons of good form, I have decided that the so-called Pan will return in three days to commit the arbitrament of the sword. Smee, translate."

"In three days, we're gonna have a war! A battle between good and evil to the death!"

-Hook, 1991
Anders

Postby William Swiger » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:44 pm

I have a viking sword on order with them. Right now his wait time is about 6-months out. 1/2 when he starts and the rest when completed. Good guy. I have an older hollow ground Ranger Sword he made from a few years back.

William Swiger
Global Moderator

Postby keltic » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:18 pm

good morrow
rob miller is an outstanding sword smith .he helped disine a dirk for the prince of wales of england he did the blade 8-)
trust me when i tell you this Rob is a master craftsmen. you made a wonderfull choce !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
heres my lasted commision from rob miller custum viking the hard wear on the handle is silver and the blade is hollow ground CHEERS
keltic/tseaton
Attachments
IMG_7740.jpg
IMG_7737.jpg
IMG_7736.jpg
keltic

Postby William Swiger » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Nice Viking!!
William Swiger
Global Moderator

Postby Lunaman » Sun Oct 09, 2011 1:44 pm

I know the profile taper, tip, and grind are ahistorical, but I DO NOT CARE. That's got to be one of the most attractive Suontaka interpretations I've ever seen. Very nice, Keltic!
These are some of my Sword Designs: viewtopic.php?f=40&t=120
These are some of my museum photos: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9591
Lunaman
Senior Forumite

Next

Return to General Discussions