It is currently Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:13 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

General Discussions

MRL Windlass Sword and Misc Thread

General discussion and questions on swords from all cultures and time periods, with subforums for specific types of swords.

MRL Windlass Sword and Misc Thread

Postby kingrikoraru » Mon Jan 07, 2013 10:38 pm

MRL/Windlass Sword and Misc Thread

Well, due to recent experiences with a few swords from Windlass/MRL, I'm going to start this thread so that people can chip in about what swords from Windlass is good, and what is not. Simple as that so that when any Weapon Deals come up, there is an easy place to go to for weapon referal.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Raptor sword and it is definitely a great deal. I should have the Hessian Horseman sword here soon and i'll see how it goes.

Also please also try to keep the opinion about your experience with that specific sword rather than making a statement that all swords of that model are bad. (Unless there is enough of a consensus on such). I'll probably try to gather data and make a list soon to be below so that anyone wondering "Should I buy that Windlass sword (on sale) or not?" they could be answered here.

This Weekend Deal is: It's a Shield!

Finally here's the list so far.

The List*: As of 2/6/13

Great?: A must for anyone looking for a budget, entry level sword. Worth every penny and a tad more
-New Coustille (An excellent, excellent littlesword/side arm)
-European Sword (One of their most well-priced great performance sword. A must for any lover of budget European swords. Windlass is notorious for discontinuing even their most well-received sword so this could go any moment)

Good: These are great for their value and would be even better on sale.
-Windlass Spartan
-Rapto
r (It's a good blade definitely but really depends on QC and what not. Fitting is mediocre)
-Five Lobed Viking
-ULFBERHT Sword

-CYOS (Generally good, some average, but there are some really nice example of these executed well. Plus you can customize it your way! Not much but still for the sub $300, you can't ask for much more)
-German Falchion/Archer Falchion
-Leuterit Viking
-German Bastard Sword

-Munich Cut and Thrust (A bit heavy and off balance but it's one of the only low level entry example of this)
-30 Years War Sword (Heavy but it's good enough to be a good sword for the price. Barely though)
-Windlass Steelcraft Leurterit Viking Sword
-Sword of Malta
-Windlass Scimitar (Kult of Athena Price only or if you could get it used. Compared to the offerings at CS, this is not as well build but is cheaper)
-Sticklestad Sword
-Damascus Viking Sword (Very good for the Kult of Athena Price but could be better at a cheaper price.)
-Classic Medieval Sword
-1860 Calvary Saber
-Pirate Cutlass

-Medieval Falchion (Definitely a good buy when on Weapon Weekend Sale, but other than that, you get what you pay for and sometimes more. Solid cutter however)
-Windlass Schiavona (One of the only schiavona on the entry level market. Definitely a good buy for anyone looking for this Renaissance-period sword. However, it's not the best in the handling and performance category and made it to the good list only because it's (one?) of the only example of this)
-Windlass Sparticus Sica Sword
-Windlass Blacksword (Some slight issue with being whippy but still a solid blade and it looks fantastic. Definitely any fan of fantasy weapons can look into buying. As a weapon, it's not the best but it's a serviceable fantasy blade at a good price.)

So-so: Average, mediocre sword and fittings or Aesthetically poor.
-Sword of Bramham Moor
-Henry VIII Sword (Looks great but it seem QC were a bit sleepy when checking these)
-Beowulf Sword
-Heron Mark Sword
(It's either this or the Warder from VA if anyone want a low-mid price range copy of this awesome Wheel of Time sword)
-Russian Shasqua (Tip heavy, poor handling but decent price)
-Conan series swords (Heavy and unwieldy but it's done well enough. Looks great and for the price you can't ask for more. Unless you want to pay 1k+ for an Albion version, these are great display piece and "could" be used)
-Windlass Steelcrafts Pompeii Gladius

Not a good idea: Could be average but are generally bad
-Any of the Robin Hood series sword
-Windlass Falcata

Do you want a real weapon?: Or perhaps you want a wall hanger is more your style? These looks great but as weapons they will most likely be duds.
-Descheaux Rapier
-Windlass Maximus Spatha (Looks great, functionally terrible)
-Sword of Pavia (Structurally unsound for such a large sword. Could be dangerous to use)

*:Please note that this is based on other people's opinion plus review compared to the price range(Windlass sharpening service is not included as a point for this list as they create a secondary bevel and what not. This is created assuming that the sharpening service is done by the owner or professionally/KoA)and could be subject to change anytime based on additional findings.

Edit: Weapon weekend deals now will also be listed here for quick checkups
Last edited by kingrikoraru on Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:58 pm, edited 33 times in total.
kingrikoraru

Re: MRL Windlass Sword and Misc Thread

Postby Elheru Aran » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:49 pm

Good idea. Only problem:

Windlass hand forges almost all their blades. This means that within the same type/label of blade, say their 15th C. Longsword or the Raptor, you can have some dramatically different stats and handling. You can't necessarily say straight-up that 'all xxx swords are bad, don't buy them' unless that's been the consistent opinion of posters here who have handled/used them.

But it's absolutely worth collecting data such as one person saying that their experience with the sword was good, another had a bad experience; if more say that it's good than bad, then you can balance that to your own satisfaction. So I think this thread is worth it, just have to remember the above.

Personally I have only one (surprisingly enough)-- the Scimitar. It was a nicely shaped sword, but it just felt way too heavy in hand for me personally, which is strange as the Cold Steel version (identical aside from horn grip and brass fittings) felt much better in hand. Others have reported that their Scimitars were 'nice light swords', so I think I got a lemon... it's currently a project blade.
Jeff Faulk of Wooden Fang Blades
My Facebook Page
Wooden wasters and training swords in every size and type available, made custom for YOU!
Elheru Aran

Postby kingrikoraru » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 pm

Yea, i'll put that in the OP. I really want to have a thread dedicated to windlass swords so that when a sword is on sale, people can search up and find out the general opinion on that sword.
Also, I did have a Henry VIII sword as did another forum member but contrary to SBG reviews our swords have problems including a lot of ripples and mine were especially whippy so it does seem that there can be good and bad example of the same sword.
kingrikoraru

Postby chrisperoni » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am

Windlass Spartan 300
-in my opinion worth it at the price I paid of $190 plus shipping. Definitely a good DoTD catch if it ever comes up.
Pros
-faithful replication of the original design as per Frank Miller, suitable variant of the movie version as it is still clearly recognizable as "that sword from 300"
-good steel, 1095, mine is tempered properly
-good hilt also made of some variant of magnetic steel
-wood core grip and peened hilt
-decent scabbard and nice that a scabbard is offered at all for a sub $200 sword
-makes you feel like the badass you want to be when weilding it! Induces chin jutting shouting and front kicking

Cons
-a bit thin; I would have preferred if the steel stock used was thicker to begin with. I also think this could have allowed for a fix to the next negative...
-no distal taper worked into blade, makes it arguably machete like in execution of design
-grip is slippery patent leather

Notes on handling
-forward heavy, which is to be expected given the shape. makes for great slice and chop.
-short enough to maintain good manueverability considering the balance. In motion the forward weight is easily controlled.
-short = stiff(er) and as often noted with windlass blades this is considered a plus with windlass blades

hth
-s
Begin. To begin is half the work, let half still remain; again begin this, and thou wilt have finished. -Marcus Aurelius
Never discourage anyone...who continually makes progress, no matter how slow.-Plato
This is gonna sound weird, but for a second, I think you took on the shape of a unicorn.-Dale Doback
chrisperoni
Senior Forumite

Postby kingrikoraru » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:07 am

I think that that is the only other 300 sword out there next to the dsa 2 versions?
kingrikoraru

Postby Elheru Aran » Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:43 am

There's one by G2, I *think*. There is definitely a similar piece from Scorpion. A few SLO's; not so much now as there were back when 300 came out, though.
Jeff Faulk of Wooden Fang Blades
My Facebook Page
Wooden wasters and training swords in every size and type available, made custom for YOU!
Elheru Aran

Postby kingrikoraru » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:52 pm

Well that was a really good example of what should be in this thread, now if I could get more people to input their opinions
kingrikoraru

Postby William Swiger » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:54 pm

Ones I currently have:
American Revolution Saber - Good sword.
Baron Sword - Have 2 of these. One is very flexible and the other has a good stiff blade.
Classic Medieval Sword - Looks great but is pretty heavy in hand.
Cortenuova - Good sword. Not crazy about brass fittings.
Create Your Own x3 - Alright swords. The guy peening them has a problem keeping pommels in line with the blade.
Early Viking Sword - Good sword. Very light.
Erbach Bastard Sword - Alright sword. Flexible blade.
European Sword - Excellent sword.
Fantasy Viking Sword - Good sword but threaded and slightly heavy. Brass fittings.
Five Lobed Viking - Excellent sword.
German Falchion - Good sword. I like mine. Good light cutter.
Historical Excalibur - Well, I like the looks of the hilt but hate the small ricasso on it.
Joan Of Arc - Good sword. Has a weird ricasso blended into the blade for a few inches but not a normal ricasso.
MRL Irish Single Hand - Heavy. Did I say heavy?
Naumburg - Alright sword.
Knight's Tale Sword - Flexible sword but not too whippy. 38 inch blade.
Norwegian Viking Sword - Excellent sword.
Oakeshott XVIII - Good sword.
Swiss Baselard - Good sword.
Sword of Homildon Hill - Good sword.
Sword of Malta - Good sword. Mine had a small broken place on the grip - repaired.
Sword of Roven - Good sword.
Sword of the Viking King - Big guard and pommel. Alright sword.
Type XIV x2 - Both had grip problems (1/8 gap) - repaired.
ULFBERHT Sword - Good sword.

Used to have:
Raptor - Did not feel good in hand. Loose pommel.
15th Century Longsword - Did not like the grip or pommel.
Great Ouse River Sword - Way too flexible for blade type. Could not thrust.
Sir Godfrey Sword - Heavy and threaded assembly was weak.
Robin Hood Sword - Heavy and threaded assembly was weak.
Sword of Bramham Moor - Butt ass ugly in person. Flexible blade.
Sword of St. Maurice - A dog. Way too heavy and blade not historical.
Civil War Sabres - they were good swords.
Ranger Sword - felt cheap and flexible blade.

Cannot remember the others. :roll:
William Swiger
Global Moderator

Postby kingrikoraru » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:03 pm

Oh wow I always thought the St.Maurice sword looks really really good.
kingrikoraru

Postby Arwyn » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:59 pm

William Swiger wrote:Ones I currently have:
Cannot remember the others. :roll:

I can help you on one of them Bill, the Leuterit Viking (I bought it from him! :) )

Its a decent sword, the blade is pretty good, very good temper. Handles well, and its pretty lively for a viking (I have several to compare it against). The wood in the grip and the brass nails are quite decent. The alloy pommel and guard, not so much.....

Its a decent blade for the money, with a proper pommel and guard, it would be excellent. For someone starting out, its an excellent starter and its still a good general blade.

I also have their Descheaux Rapier. Gorgeous basket on the one I have, I was really amazed at how good the metal work was on it. I would even go to say is some of the nicest work I have seen on a sub- $1,000 rapier. The big disappointment was the blade. This is a thrusting rapier, and the blade is VERY whippy. No point control at all, as the 37" blades point travels all over the place in just basic movements. So, despite a fantastic bone grip, wire work and basket, it fails as a sword due to the poor blade.
Sword collecting...its like crack that rusts...
Arwyn

Next

Return to General Discussions