It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:27 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Sword Repair

tsuka 'replacement'

Advice and information on common problems encountered and how to fix them. Includes a sub forum dedicated to sword sharpening.

tsuka 'replacement'

Postby ninjedi » Wed Jan 23, 2013 1:30 pm

has anyone ever purchased a completed tsuka replacement for their katana? I have an old beater that I dulled the edge on to use as a practice sword, but I pretty much destroyed the tsuka when last dissembling it.

I purchased a replacement from an ebay vendor thinking it woudl be plug and play:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samurai-Japanes ... 0835840258

but when it came in the mail I discovered it was too small for the tang on my blade. I have since found out that the original tsuka on my sword was 27cm, while this replacement was 26cm.

Anyone else have experience with this sort of thing? Should I just order a wood core, rayskin, and try to attach/wrap it myself?
ninjedi

Re: tsuka 'replacement'

Postby lamebmx » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:42 pm

For the most part you are stuck making your own from custom. There is at least on thread on making a tsuka core. If the old one had same or same panels, those could be reused. There is a very good thread stickied for doing the wrap. I dont think any part is particularly hard, but it does require some patience and some practice runs. Wood is cheap, cheap ito is cheap and good for practice. It would be more than a weekend project the first time around.

Or if you find a vendor with the same sword as yours you might find a better fitting replacement.
This is an uneducated post consisting of my opinions formed by my browsing and looking for information. All things stated in the preceding post are subject to both being wrong and opinion changing as I wander along this path of learning.

ooops got a little to close to the kinect.
lamebmx

Re: tsuka 'replacement'

Postby jblakey » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:53 am

The outside length of the tsuka is not the only consideration, or even the most important. The inside of the tsuka needs to fit the nakago of the blade - when the nakago is inserted into the tsuka, it should be secure, with no wiggle in any direction. Lamebmx is correct, a good tsuka should be pretty much custom-made for each sword.

Thanks,
jason
Thanks,
jason
jblakey

Return to Sword Repair