It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:01 pm
Change font size
SBG Sword Forum The friendliest Sword Forum

Medieval Swords

Kris Cutlery Teutonic Sword

General discussion of modern reproductions of medieval swords

Kris Cutlery Teutonic Sword

Postby Student of Sword » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:32 am

Does anyone know anything about the Kris Cutlery Teutonic Sword? Here it is http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=KRSTS&name=Kris+Cutlery+Teutonic+Sword
Student of Sword

Re: Kris Cutlery Teutonic Sword

Postby ghost » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:36 am

You can try PMing Enkidu; He told me he bought 2 of the KCs medieval lines though I don't know which...
"Sorry. All out of mercy." -Ghost Rider 2007
ghost

Postby Aaron » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:39 am

RicWilly also has a couple of the KC blades, the Teutonic is one of them. I recall his impressions being favorable, but I can't seem to find his posts about it. I thought he did a review of it but that was for one of his other KC's.
Aaron
Senior Forumite

Postby Student of Sword » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:45 am

The other KC you guys talking about must be the Medieval War Sword, this one : http://www.kultofathena.com/product.asp?item=KRSMWS&name=Kris+Cutlery+Medieval+War+Sword
Student of Sword

Postby RicWilly » Sat Jan 22, 2011 6:09 am

I have a KC Teutonic and a Warsword as well.
I didn't review the Teutonic, Aaron, because there were already a review and I pretty much agreed with that but I did post a couple vids. Here's one.

This sword is one of my favorites.
It should be noted that the one I have is an older model. It differs a lot from the one they have now or so I gather from the vendor discription and pictures.
My blade is a hexagon shape while the newer one has a flattened diamond cross section.
The guard shaped different also and the grip on mine is leather stitched up one side while the newer one is wrapped with cotton cord lacquered black.
"Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying."
RicWilly
VIP Reviewer

Postby chuckinohio » Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:04 am

I have one of the KC Teutonic swords, one of the newer models that differs from Rics.

It does have a flattened diamond cross section blade that is 33 inches from the tip to the guard. The blade has both Distal and Profile taper, and is fairly stiff. The center of percussion on mine lies at about 22 to 23 inches from the guard. Using the pommel strike method you will see very little vibration in the blade at the tip, a shade less than an inch. The Point of balance is exactly 4.5 inches form the guard on mine. The blade is ground nicely, with none of the blatant waves and ripples found on some of the lower end blades form overseas forges. It came sharp also, I mean it came paper cutting sharp, and you would be well advised to be very careful when unwrapping it. I could easily see someone cutting a finger to the bone unwrapping this blade, it is that sharp. It is ground with no apparent secondary bevel detectable to the naked eye, they appear to have taken some care to give this blade a true apple seed edge instead of simply striking secondary bevels on it to sharpen the blade.

The grip is wrapped with cord and lacquered as mentioned above, but Kult of Athena lists it at 4 inches, and mine is 7 inches from the cross to the base of the pommel. The pommel is 4 inches long itself giving you 11 inches of grippable handle. The cross is 10 inches wide and is fit to the blade very very tightly, there is literally no visable gap around the base of the blade where it recesses into the guard. The pommel is peened onto the tang, and is done very cleanly. The peen is faceted from the hammer blows, but it is done in a circular pattern, somewhat like a rosette. I like smooth peens generally, but this one adds a bit if character, and due to the dark finish of the furniture is not really noticable until you examine it closely. I am not sure if the peen block present on top of the pommel is an actual seperate peen block, or part of the pommel with an inscribed line to make it look like a seperate piece. If it is a seperate piece, it is done excellantly and lines up with the pommel exactly.

Overall, I really like this blade. The finish on the metal furniture is done neatly and evenly, and all the lines are crisp. The leather sheath sent with it from KC is really poor from a Historical standpoint. It serves as a blade cover for transport, and does that quite well, but bears no resemblance to any kind of scabbard that would have been present in this blades time period. The blade is aesthetically very pleasing to the eye, and with a quality scabbard would be a sword worthy of a noble man, reasonably affluent man at arms or adventurer.

The sword cuts with authority, and due to the grip being of a flattened oval shape, edge alignment has not been a problem with it. The blade is stiff enough that it will thrust effortlessly. The overall blade profile lends to it being usable in either role, and it performs well in either with an edge going to its role as a cutter due to the somewhat rounded tip profile. It will still thrust quite well, and it is not disappointing in any way, but with a sharper tip profile it would thrust a bit better I think. Still it suffers not as a do it all sword that one would carry off with them on an expedition or adventure. it would provide you with a blade that is usable for almost any eventuality.

The weight is right at KOAs advertised 3Lb 3Oz and it is usable one handed. I have a bit of trouble with recovery using it one handed. My skills are not the best by any stretch of the immagination, and someone more proficient may be able to do better. I had to blunt the last two inches of the blade right at the guard so that I could wrap a finger over the guard, and that helps greatly with one handed control. The blade was very sharp right up to the guard.

Two handed this blade is very maneuverable and tracks quite well going from guard to guard. I have a bit of trouble with point tracking using it, but I blame myself more than the blade. Until someone more proficient than me uses one and renders an opinion, my thoughts are worth exactly what you paid for them :)

I am quite pleased with this blade and am happy that Rics praise of KCs products was right on the money. I believe that you would not regret acquiring one.
chuckinohio
Senior Forumite

Location: Casstown Ohio- You cant miss it, turn left at the corn field

Postby Enkidu » Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:35 pm

Ahh... i missed this one !
And its hard to add something else, i think everyone pretty much covered the whole thing.
I just want to echo Chuck's thoughts about the blade. It is a really good blade, you get that feeling as soon as you see it in person, the blade shape is a bit unusual ( the flatten section in particular ) but it adds great stiffeness, it gives versatility to this blade.
Hey, its so well made that i sent it to Brian at DBK to make another scabbard ( no need to even mention how awful the original one was ) and to make some mods on the handle, this sword deserved it !

...and the new model looks even better.
My designs http://forum.sword-buyers-guide.com/vie ... 40&t=10200
My collection viewtopic.php?f=34&t=387
''When the Life-Giver dies all around is laid to waste ''
Enkidu

Postby chuckinohio » Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:03 pm

Looking again at Enkidus Teutonic in his collection I realized that the blade on mine is different than his.

Mine is like this one-

It does not have the flat section on the blade like his. I guess that I mispoke when I called it a flattened diamond cross section. It is a diamond cross section only kind of flatter but not totally flat :?
chuckinohio
Senior Forumite

Location: Casstown Ohio- You cant miss it, turn left at the corn field

Postby rvhernandez » Thu Jan 27, 2011 12:12 am

Thanks for the video Ric...nice cutting too.

This one has been on my list for a very long time, despite the poor scabbard.

SoS: I wouldn't hesitate buying it if you're ready for the style. I don't recall specific reviews, but do recall nothing but good. The scabbard seems to be the only complaint. But then you get CF to customize one when you're ready. :D
The Rubes
"Lack not the courage of your convictions"
rvhernandez

Postby RicWilly » Thu Jan 27, 2011 5:32 am

chuckinohio wrote:Looking again at Enkidus Teutonic in his collection I realized that the blade on mine is different than his.

Mine is like this one-

It does not have the flat section on the blade like his. I guess that I mispoke when I called it a flattened diamond cross section. It is a diamond cross section only kind of flatter but not totally flat :?
Chuck, I'd call your's a flattened diamond cross section (as does the discription on KC's site).
The old one was discribed as a hexagonal blade if I recall correctly as it has six sides. Here's a pic of mine tho I don't know how well you can see the blade.
"Only that in you which is me can hear what I'm saying."
RicWilly
VIP Reviewer

Next

Return to Medieval Swords